Please Observe.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Inappropriate Elevator Conduct

The strangest thing happened today. It was also quite embarrasing. They should'nt charge people for IEC (Yes I am known for making up terms! Ashiq knows that)! My mom asked me to get some bread from the grocery. You see, the people there are quite lazy (if I may say so myself). They don't believe in delivering upstairs if its less than Dhs 10/- and/or less than 3 items.

When I entered the lift, there was a man inside already. Then,
I can't really place it, maybe I was in the mood, I started laughing. I hid myself in a corner.He did'nt seem to notice, which was bad for me, cause if he said or even did anything I may have stopped.
But he did'nt.

So I continued until we stopped on the 18th floor. This is the worst part about living on the highest floors. Especially on the 'wake-up-late-your-screwed' days. When you are in a hurry to get out, it's Murphy's Law all over again.
A considerably wider than average lady stepped in with her 3 children. I really don't know what was up with me, cause I started laughing even more. I have this tremendous bad habit of not being able to control good laughter. When I say 'good', I mean to say that whenever something is really amusing to me, I will not stop laughing for longgg time. Anywhere, I just have to recall it, and I'm off.

I think it was the image of my friends laughing at something really stupid. I don't know what they were laughing about ( It could have been the laughter 'from Romit' :P ), but it was just that image.

I started laughing even more. I think it was at this point that the man looked at me. But he didn't have time to say anything, he had to make room for another female who just entered the lift.

Another thing about elevators are that (in mine, at least) they have mirrors on all sides, so everywhere I turned the man was giving me dirty looks. I also tried to find a way of justifying my laughter, I tried thinking of a reason for which would explain my peculiar behaviour. I had no objects on me that would remind me of a fond time or a friend that perhaps I was sharing a joke with. I think in the end I managed to give him an apologetic grin, which he did not return.

You always wish the people in your building are cool.


I had to endure 21 + P3 + P2 + P1 floors of this continuously growing laughter. The Lady kept pushing her children as far from me as was possible, the other female was repeatedly pressing the "< >" button and the guy just looked pissed. You'd think people would have a sense of humour! I stopped laughing by the time we reached "G".
I let them exit first.
:P

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

3:48 AM...Christ

Romit said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

lol... i can just imagine ur state! i cant seem to stop laughing right now, actually! (hehehe)
but u know, that might have had a sense of humour, u never know, but since he probably thought you were laughing at him, he didnt find anything funny in that! [:D]

oh n i like the term IEC :P

anjali said...

well, atleast u let them exit first!!

Nishant said...

Yeah exactly, I started laughing at that post, (not being rude, just found it funny).

How I love the sound of random laughter. Or the look of it. Or the words describing it :S

Anonymous said...

You were laughing at absolutely nothing in particular!!!! Dude, they say laughter's good for you but this...... The mother probably thought u were high!

Namrata said...

hahahaaaa
i really cant stop laughin! :P. u crack me up. it must have been really embarrasin!
blog on!
adios
namrata

The Ego said...

Hahaha... Interesting... I know wot you mean about not being able to stop once you start laughing... hehe...

Anonymous said...

Dude! You are going to get into serious trouble some day.

:P

Lemi said...

welcome to our world! did u knw tht oct 29th is 'Laugh out loud for no reason day'?? shall just say tht if looks cld kill myself, lish and kari wldve been dead by now! (think outside labs, neogi hearing us from upstairs.....)

anish said...

didnt comment on this earlier - but hey i really enjoyed the post...can totally imagine u freaking out!

blog on.

Anonymous said...

heyy!

hahahah! nice post! i totally connected with it! my sister and me have had umpteen number of such incidents! its brilliant! and its even more amazingly embarassing and funny when u have company! my sister has a knack of startin something like this! and then the laughter spreads like wild fire! there i am standing like a mature elder sister and all but shit its irresistable!

lifts are our fav places of sudden laughter moments and with the most randomest ppl! like one day this sardarji who (without exxageration!!!) takes up the ENTIRE space in my lift with me and my sister literally squashed into the corners! n omg my sister went bizzerk! as it is there wasnt enough space! the dirty looks they throw at you! hahah!

oo n best incident! one day this uncle (dads friend who had come from doha and who me and my sister didnt really ever remember meeting before in our lives) comes home and like customary we have to say our 'hellos'. so anyway after i had finshed my 'turn' my sister enters and my uncle was like ur aakanksha? there was this moments silence.. i looked at her with that questioning look sayin "answer dammit!" and she just stood there and 2 secs later she burst out laughing! she actually stood there laughing! she cupped her hand on her mouth to control herself but she couldnt stop... and she managed somehow to say excuse me and ran out laughin! omgggg! that was soo embarassing! i was tryin to control MY laughter... no nothing was funny... just my sisters reaction! my sister was "just in the mood" and had been victim of her laugher syndrome at the weirdest time!
jeeeeezz! ill never forget that day!

anyways those were some random incidents that i remebered while readin ur post so thought of sharing them with u!