Please Observe.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Rain and Breaking Records



In the past few days I achieved two big things:

1. You all know how I like to walk. I left the house right after getting back from school at 5 on the day of the physics exam, and tried to find my way to Zulekha Hospital. My cousin's wife just gave birth to a baby boy, and I really wanted to see how she and the baby were. I told my mom "I'm going for a walk" and left.
After walking past Sahara Centre, I looked around for the hospital, but couldn’t seem to find it anywhere. After a few more minutes of aimlessly walking around, I looked at the time...I think it was 5:20. Then a crazy idea came into my head. I saw Al Mulla Plaza in the distance. Whenever I get these gut feelings I just decide to go with them. So I started to walk to Ali's House.
For all who do not know, Ali lives on Maktoum Street in Deira. I live in Sharjah.
I kept walking for a long time, past Al Mulla,
Past The Dubai Police Headquarters,
Past The Peugeot Cars Showrooms,
Past Ramada in Abu Hail,
Down Salah-u-din Road,
Past The Muraqqabat Police Headquarters,
Until I saw the clock tower far ahead. At that point I called Ali and told him where I was, he thought I was bullshiting! I told him to wait for me.
One of the best things is that when you know you’re so close to your destination, you are filled with another sort of energy, not that I was especially tired, but I was so close to breaking all my records of 'distance-walking' that I started walking faster.
When I reached the rear-end of Taj Palace I went insane. I was so overjoyed that I broke into a frenzied run.
Then I rang his doorbell and Ali opened the door to his apartment. He couldn’t believe it; I honestly don’t think I could believe it. We both started laughing.

2. I have been praying for sometime that I would get the opportunity to walk in the rain.
You know.
For a new experience.
The only really huge problem is that I picked the day when it rained like god had overturned his tub.
It was full of water of course.
I had to go to the Millennium School for some Redial Entertainment work, and seeing as it within walking distance, and also since I realllly wanted to walk I took my jacket and headed downstairs.
Then I came back up and took my umbrella.
The bad part is that, to get behind Sahara centre, you have to go through this sandy area, which obviously had turned to mushy icky gook. But I endured it anyway, I even got my shoes clean; the water had collected on the road in a traditional pool-type fashion, and the cars passing by didn't think much of sparing me. My jeans were now clean too.
It stopped raining during the latter part of the journey; I could put my umbrella away. The squishing from my wet socks was going too, but the damn entrance to the school was blocked. When I say blocked I mean that there was water at least 2 feet deep in front, and there was a reprise from the icky sand as well.
Thank God I got a lift back.
Well, that’s two more things I’ve wanted to do, completed. Next I’m going to try walking to school.

16 comments:

The Ego said...

Hehe...very cool...when I read this post...I was reminded of my friend ... he has a blog... blogging name Stained... http://everchanginglanes.blogspot.com

He also walks crazy distances for no reason...and today he decided to walk from his house in Deira to Snooker Point area in Karama ... he called me on the way to say "Hello, I'm walking, and I'm wet" and I thought he was bullshitting too... hehe... it would've been too identical if I still stayed in the Snooker Pt bldg... he would've called me down and I would've thought he was mad... hehehe

Anonymous said...

well, congrats, tejas! good on u, mate! [:P]
well, i walked from silver sand 1 to ajdan in the rain, and even tho it took 5 minutes (dont laugh) i loved it! i dont know why, but for some reason, the rain gives me a sense of peace. it makes me happpy! [:D]
cya!

Anonymous said...

lol .. thats amazing. I love walking too, but not as much as you do. Just the other day, I walked around Bur Dubai aimlessly for about 2 hours and ... romit made me shuttle around aimlessfully (at times with an aim and at times aimlessly, if ever that word had a meaning) starting from bur dubai, almost ending up in al ain before reaching deira!!

Stained said...

yup love walking....& i know what you mean by that gut feeling & crazy ideas...they are the lifelines of my walking craze....
good to know that i aint the only walking crazy guy in uae....hmm...kewl...

anish said...

you are crazzzzzzzzzy.. =)

Anonymous said...

ello Tejas!!
I biked to school from my place yday in the rain! was so much fun though it took just about 15 mins! I am in the near future going to blog about biking, it seems to have struck me as walking has struck you! will be in the post!
As for walking, again yday itself,I had a bit of an experience! I was going to anish's for Arsenal's game(3-0!:)) when I decided Id get late and should go to romit's instead! Ofcourse romit wasn't home and so I had to wait in the rain for a cab that never came! Well 4 did come and did stop but the guys were about to go home and I figured their day was probably alot worse than mine was at that point, so I didn't go with them! Now, I was cold, shivering a bit, wet ALL OVER because the passing cars are in fact bastards and more than anything bored! So i decided I'd walk the way until perhaps a cab would come along! It never did! I crossed maktoum bridge for the first time in my 18+ yrs and reached anish's place only to enter to his dry smiling face! Bastard!:P Bright side was I had a great time with his family(if ever there was an award they'd get it hands down!) and even got to spend time with ali! Walking got my respect yesterday! Not more than biking, but very very near!

bajpai said...

hey...i walked frm satwa to ss1...at 8 in the evening...its fun...except fr the fact that it was really REALLY hot...

Anonymous said...

heya!
ambitious walk! well rain is all calming n everything but shit! u must reeli love walking!

Anonymous said...

Have always thought u have been insane to walk such longgggg distances!:P

I enjoy walking ...not as much as I enjoy jogging though...I dunno whyy! Agreed, I do not walk much.. but thats not because im lazy but simply because I havn't felt the urge to do so. I do not get any thrill in covering long distances... unless i am walking in an unknown country(unknown to me that is :P)... NOW THAT IS AMAZING! because everythin is new ...different...adventurous! you have to find ur way through! i love the whole reading maps...getting lost ... checking up with people passing by and then ultimately reaching your destination.. its only then that i experiance a thrill! Walking in Dubai doesnt excite me to that extent..

But u enjoy it ...so best of luck in your reaching your future target destinations!

flamin said...

lol..insane! :)

Btw, I'd like to know more about Redial Entertainment. Maybe you can drop me a mail on funky.randomness@yahoo.com

Nishant said...

Okay then. I DO walk from Karama to the Golden Sands area very very often, but that isn't too long, maybe half an hour's time. But yes, I do feel good when I walk. Nice post. After a long time.

Anonymous said...

And I thought I broke all records when I walked from Satwa to Maktoum...Respect.

Rayna said...

Since u love walking so much try and get ur hands on this book - A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins.

Abha Malpani said...

haha I can see your name in the Guiness Book of Records - Man who walked the World :)

Be careful walking in Shj/Dubai though - the roads aren't exactly walker friendly.

Anonymous said...

ok, now lets see you d that in heels.

=p just kidding...coz my personal record is walking up and down shk zayd road in my moms 2 sizes too small high heeled boots.

Anonymous said...

Walking from Sharjah to Dubai? That's pretty sweet. I like running a lot though. There's a forest to the north of my town, and every other day, I'll run about 2-3 Kms through it. However, if it's a great day outside (that is, if it isn't raining), I'll call up my friend and we'll bike 40 Kms down to the U.S. border. It's pretty fun.
Running 5 Kms home from the movie theatre with my friends in the rain at 2 in the morning is pretty fun too.