Please Observe.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Cryptic's thoughts on littering.

For the longest time, I held the Pepsi can in my hand.
I was caught in another EVS disaster yesterday, when I realised I didn’t bother to bring back the endless photocopies of the textbook from school, before my desk was cleared out a day before the exams began. Even better was that I knew this on Wednesday and Thursday and Friday, but didn’t bother to do anything about it till Saturday. So I began another journey at 7:15 in the morning. I planned to walk to Rubin’s house, Borrow his book, photocopy it fast, give it back and then walk back home. I couldn't believe I was doing so much for EVS.
I reached by 8, only to find out that Rubin was studying and thus could not give the book to me. I began to panic, so he told me to take Aaron’s book. Now I didn’t feel like doing this for 2 reasons,

1) I hadn’t called him to wish him the previous day (I messaged though!)
2) And thus borrowing his book at such an unearthly hour would be quite heartless.

So I called him. When he didn't pick up I spoke to his mom, who asked me to return it soon.
After a lot more mess-ups and misunderstandings with apparently "closed" photocopy shops, I gave the book back and started walking home. Now here’s the deal:
While I was walking I was thinking about the pointlessness of a subject like EVS( I don’t really find it thaaat pointless but this is so all you people can "dig" me) and I was doing what I do normally while walking: Observing the smaller details in my path.
I bought a can of Pepsi.
I wanted to find a place to throw my can and I couldn’t, because there weren’t any bins.
So I held the can in my hand.
Man, there is so much junk in Sharjah.
I was walking through Al Wahda, (the Champs-Ely sees of Sharjah :P) and counted 28 cans on the ground and after that I stopped. See now I'm not being all holier-than-thou or any crap, its just that there’s so much shit on the floor man! Junk, junk, junk everywhere I looked. It's just really bad.
What made me write this is that its so bloody weird man! You find the strangest junk at the most awkward places. I was walking through a deserted sandpit, found a teabag! Someone was making tea there! I found cigarette packets inverted on top of those red and white cones. And another thing, you'll find junk thrown around a dust bin.
Well at least they’re original.
They make us go for all this clean-up-the-world-crap-so-you-can-get-a-fancy-certificate-for-college crap, but really, if your own city looks like rubbish, what’s the point? Now most peoples stance on littering is that I'll see you throw something on the floor, I'll tell you don't do it, then I'll do the exact same thing and then you'll tell me, whatever. Just, from now onwards, please don't litter, cause frankly it just looks bad. If a blog post from a friend can't convince you, no text book ever will.
I got home and threw the can in the bin.

P.S. Aaron… Happy Belated Birthday!

6 comments:

Romit said...

I am generally casual about stuff like throwing things in the bin and all..lazy...u know. U and Ashiq have slapped me many times for that.... it is a Delhi attitude which i still have...srry!!will try to get over it.

Now days dubai is no better.
Have u seen the creek ?? its full of shit..just like my evs paper. (lol....Joke tha ji.....srry ali...did it again)

Shweta said...

:O

.....

:O

I never litter:D
hell im picking up litter in school 24/7:P

:D

....

:D

.....
wat happened to ur evs exam?!:O

anish said...

CICSE knows how to make a perfectly good and awareness-creating subject boring, and yes pointless in its own way. Our school falls into the trap. FRANK Environmental Science text books make the subject even worse with essay-like preachy chapters, with undue concentration on stupid stuff, quite simply.

And Tejas, thou holy man...:P

save the earth!

Tejas said...

No honestly man, I was really freaked yesterday. Theres the Al Khan Bridge, alright...theres a small pavement that climbs upwards towards the top...sorta like a shortcut for pedestrians instead of going all the way round.
I swear...
I found a Broken CD there. Really wierd. Then outside subway I saw a Pizza Hut box 5/6ths empty. It's crazy man! thats the reason I'm changing.
Cause its just so wierd otherwise.

ug said...

Haha.

You wont believe what I've fund in the Gardens, apart from the usual rubbish thats strewn everywhere- a cricket bat, a suitcase, a clothes hanger and a fishing rod. Seriously.

My greatest frustration is with the newspapers and their huge tabloid and property supplements that no one reads. I mean cant they put this stuff on the net? And don't say that people who are willing to spend a couple of millions on a house dont have internet access! I'm glad you brought this topic up- Dubai is really becoming a wasteland, or rather waste-desert.

Anish, you are absolutely right. And its CISCE btw :P I mean isn't EVS a subject that isn't required by colleges, and can hence be taught in an interactive and stimulating manner? This is one subjest where the scope for practical application is immense. Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believed that the very purpose of introducing this subject, was to make us aware of our environment. The education given to us is not 'effective' and I don't want to even start about Frank EVS. Just a piece of advice to all those in Grades 9 and up- DO NOT READ THE WHOLE TEXT- YOU WILL GO INSANE IF YOU TRY TO!!!

Romit, its because of people like YOU that all the clean-up-the-worlders are faced with the task of 'numb'ring sands and drinking oceans dry'- STOP IT!!! (hey just kidding - but seriously man don't litter)

OK did I just quote from Richard II? I think it's time now to end this post, for 'sorrow ends not when it seemeth done' OK Ive gone mad!!! Seriously!!! Help!!!

ug said...

** meant classifieds, not tabloids. Not that the tabloids are anything great, but even so...