Please Observe.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Another Episode / Biking in the "hood" with Harry & Shakini

Every single day since the Ramadan ended, my bus has reached school at 8:15. For all those who don't know, assembly is at 7:40. Let me tell all of you now itself that I hate missing assembly. Most of the ones in the hall I get to sing, but nowadays if there is a slight reduction in traffic, a light bag and if I run as fast as I can, I'm lucky to catch the "Prefects and teachers, please take over."

It’s been 3 weeks since Eid. I decided I had enough. There was to be a special screening of the documentary in the hall this morning, after which we would be called on stage to receive our very own copy of From the Inside and a "letter of gratitude". I really didn't want to miss it, so I asked my mom if I could stay in someone’s house who lived in Dubai. It was arranged and I packed my bag to stay at Renoo Aunty's house for the night.

Renoo Aunty lives in Jumeirah so obviously I had to take the bus back to her place and to my pleasant surprise Harendra was in my bus too. I was telling him earlier that day.
"So where does Renoo aunty live?" he asked me.
"Jumeirah."
"Okay where in Jumeirah?"
"Uhh I dunno I think somewhere behind Beach Centre..."
"Okay...I live behind that too..."
"Yea in some villa back there."
"Okay...so do I...


...so what’s Renoo Aunty's real name?"
: P

After Crashing at her house and showering I closed the door to the room in which I would be sleeping. I tried to study for a while, I actually did some poetry in the end, but it was too exhausting; I had a bad cold and a headache too. But something was better over there. There’s nothing like privacy you know. Shutting your door and keeping your thoughts too yourself while they are still tender. Then letting them grow into something fantastic. I was drawing for a while.
I called Harry later to find out what time the bus usually came to pick him up. After he told me I was about to say 'thanks bye!' but he was like 'Hey, what are you doing now?"
So it was after a Sharad Pawar/Democratic/Advertising in India-filled conversation at dinner, that Harry, Shakini and I went for a walk around Jumeirah. I got to ride on Harry's grey bike.

Jumeirah is quiet. I like that. Apart from the occasional car passing by there isn't much 'action'. Harry told me that the population was mostly made up of dogs and babies. I loved the silence and the feel of being out late at night in the company of friends. Instead of writing line by line, here's what all I saw/enjoyed:
1. A not so clean Moon.
2. Shakini going all serious and saying "Tejas get off the road" whenever there was a car crawling in the distance at perhaps 2.5 miles an hour.
3. Slowing down on the bike and circling so I could be in line with Harry.
4. A Garbage Truck.
5. A mini grocery store.
6. A Black dog.
7. A white dog.
8. A man restraining a Black and a White Dog.
9. Fancy Cars.
10. Dog Poop.
11. The Silence.

I decided to blog on this episode anyway while we were riding, and Shakini suggested a title for it: "Biking in the hood"; which I have included...sort of.
I liked it. Thank you, Shakini and Harry.

The Next Morning after Changing and packing my bag, I said goodbye to Renoo Aunty and Satish Uncle. It meant a lot to me that they let me stay, considering the fact that it was on very short notice. I really enjoyed myself there. They gave me my privacy and even allowed me to go out with my friends at night. I respect that. There are anyways otherwise like family to me. They have been really good friends with my mom for a really long time and helped us a lot too. Thank you Renoo Aunty and Satish Uncle.

I reached school at 7:30!
Assembly cancelled...buses were late. Stuck in traffic it seems.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, a walk in the moonlight! Lovely!!
I usually go on early morning walks from time to time ... probably because walking in the Bur Juman area etc in the night is no quite outing. You should know.
Such outings are probably the only time or think .. or not think at all! I lurrve them. The breeze in your face, the silence and the cats in my case - camouflaged until they decide to suddenly move and scare me!!

Namrata said...

hey tejas.
sad....you went through all that effort and still missed assembly...lol
And if u think Jumeirah is quiet...cum to the gardens....it's seriously peaceful...
newya nice title
namrata

Anonymous said...

haha the sad irony of life :P everywhere in jumeirah there are all these old ppl driving so they drive at snails pace n stop for every single pedestrian( the exception of this rule is the neighborhood cat lady who mows down everyone whos not feline)lol well if i did try biking around the neighborhood i'd proly b hit by a garbage truck or a camry. oh and ur also proly the first person i noe that actually enjoys assembly :S

Anonymous said...

ello Tejas! that really sucks about assembly,bright side tho, while you were not at assembly we were winning the semis!:D btw thanks so much for all the support to the team man, i actually look forward to coming back and seeing the look on ur face and shit i cant wait till sunday! I DONT KNOW BUT I BEEN TOLD---MODERN HIGH GOING TO WIN SOME GOLD!
tweedle dee!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tejas,
Yeah Jumeirah is very quiet, not much excitement except for meeting various breeds of dogs when I walk my dogs in the evening. But the best part is going in the bus in the morning :P...Bet you thought we all were seriously weird to be laughing,teasing and joking like that early in the morning...hehe...and the best part is we dont even have teachers in our bus!!!....so we get to do as we like :D...it was fun seeing the horrified look on your face when you saw me,Niranjana,Megan and Karishma laughing our guts out in the bus....:D...nyway twas gr8 having u in the bus for 1 day....and sorry about the assembly being cancelled after all your effort lol....blog on!!!

Radhii said...

Jejas! Nothing beats our bus yea? Cmon! Say it! I know you want to! Besides the lateness bit of course =(. Even though Dad drops me, I'm late pretty often. Shucks! Sharjah life.
I knew you were pissed on Wednesday though.. Thank god I didn't come by bus on Thurs, I would've been bored stiff, gone to sleep, and woken up with a sore neck/back/whatever ache. Ouchness!

Anyways, don't worry, maybe you'll work something out next week/term. And hey. As for your singing, it's better to make people wait for the good mumbo jumbo! That's a compliment btw. *gasp* YOU! You're keeping me late from my maths TB and its best friend, my DAD! :P Talk to u soon lol!

Shweta said...

boooo!
jumeirah has WONDERFUL doggies:D(im obsessed:P).. heck i was late for the first time in my life on wednesday-i live a MINUTE away from school...lol.. but yea..used to live in sharjah n i hafto admit.. tht was the best time i had in a school bus ONLY cuz it was so nice n long:D
infact i remmebr u were in my bus!:D
tc!!!!!!
shweta

anjali said...

I definitely agree. I lived in Jumeirah for 5 years and i miss the silence, the darkness, the empty roads. Once in a while, there will be some yelling coming from the neighbour's houses but u get used to it...

Anonymous said...

sad...yet great! wish i could pen down (er, or type:P) my thoughts like other people do...