Please Observe.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Four letter words


I really don't know myself. Today it came to my attention that we maybe swearing a bit too much these days. I'm not sure but I just happened to swear in front of my mom today(usually she's cool with it), completely out of frustration and she pleasantly reminded me that I was the one who claimed that I stop kids from swearing.Now don't get me wrong, I always(and im not lying)try to stop kids in my bus from swearing...but the wierd thing is that if we used to care so much, then why not now? I'm not a bloody saint but there was a time in which my friends used to stop me and say "Dude Tejas, look we need to talk. You are cursing too much these days and it has shocked us".
I'm not quoting you guys but I don't know, perhaps we have changed, I mean we HAVE changed. So if I stop kids from what I do, is there an age thing for swearing now?
"Now listen Prasidhi no swearing until you become 16 ,okay?"
Nobody cares. Well...I don't know. Should we just F***-et about it?

8 comments:

anish said...

I think today, the infamous 'four letter word' and other such "profane" words, have almost become a norm. Not in a bad way, as in bad language is BAD - especially when it hurts someone or when it is said just for the heck of saying it-as in to be cool, or when it becomes a habit. OK, now i have to be careful anout what i say :P. sometimes when you are all pumped up, or when everything is going wrong, or when you are looking for energy, or when you are looking for some kind off a release, it comes out - and there is some kind of a momentary release - and everything feels less stressful. Yes it is still wrong and vulgar, and spreading it is not what we should do, but we are all hypocrites. We say it's bad and hell EVERYONE uses profanity. You come to your own conclusions!

Tejas said...

Well anish, I guess we are all hypocrites then...good one anish.By the way who is anonymous in your RDB blog?

Anonymous said...

There is nothing wrong in swearing as long as you don't mean it. Swearing is slang nowadays, and if you don't get slang, Fuck off.;)

Tejas said...

haha lol fake laughter...freak.

Anonymous said...

Did any of you watch the Oprah show, yesterday - Star World? They talked about a similar racist word and its meaning, effect, etc.

Tejas said...

What racist word?As in "freak"? Really?

Anonymous said...

No, i'm refering to 'nigger'.

Anonymous said...

it's quite late in the day to comment on this one but i still felt i should. i understand anonymous' point fully in that it is the intention behind the word that matters. the thing is, words are meant to express intentions and thoughts. and so if you use an abusive word, he intention, whether it is there or not, is transferred. so what's wrong in swearing is that we do not care about what image we are letting show. as for the age thing, when we are young, we see grown ups swear and so in one of our countless attempts to be mature, we follow suit but our conscience stops us.when we grow up a bit, we stil hang on to those hopes of maturity and start to swear, only rebellion isn't the same if we listened to our conscience!
anyway what started as an opinion ended as a thesis!good bye and good blogs!